Thursday, 17 January 2013

Sex on legs soup

I made this soup for lunch today post meeting and post throwing balls for my dog in the freeeeezing British weather. It's absolutely sex on legs. I threw in whatever veg I had - happened to be sweet potatoes, carrots, frozen peas and green beans, tinned sweetcorn and chickpeas. I skipped the greens and tinned tomato due to what I had in, but I reckon that any combo would work wonders with this gorgeous seasoning. The peanut butter (I used cashew nut butter) and honey (I didn't have raw) make it so filling and decadent that I didn't miss bread or need a second bowl. 

I discovered that frying onions and garlic in this seasoning and then stir frying in veg of any type or adding steamed or boiled vegetables would be a fabulous complement to short grain brown rice (the type of rice my nutritionist insists I stick to). You could always add pre marinated tofu for a perfectly balanced meal. 

Thanks to the fab Bari Tribe blog for this recipe which I found via Well & Good nyc. I love to find a few basic seasoning ideas which I can replicate in different ways to keep my palate satisfied. 

‘Back On Track’ Winter Soup
Ingredients:
  • 2 tbsp. olive oil
  • 2 onions, peeled and chopped
  • 4 garlic cloves, minced
  • 3 sweet potatoes, peeled and chopped
  • 1.5 tbsp. curry powder
  • 1/4 to 1/2 tsp. cayenne
  • 1 tsp. cumin
  • 1 tsp. ground ginger
  • 1/4 tsp. cinnamon
  • 1 can organic diced tomatoes (with canning liquid)
  • 8 cups vegetable broth
  • 1 can organic corn, drained
  • 1 can chickpeas, rinsed and drained
  • 1/4 cup peanut butter
  • 2 tbsp. raw honey
  • 3-4 cups chiffonaded mustard greens (any greens work here; swiss chard would be great)
  • sea salt, to taste
Directions:
  • Heat olive oil in a large dutch oven, and sauté onions over medium heat for 5 minutes or until translucent.
  • Add garlic and sauté for another minute. Add sweet potato and spices – coating all vegetables evenly – and sauté for another minute.
  • Add tomatoes and broth, and bring to a boil. Lower heat, cover and simmer for 30 minutes.
  • Add corn, chickpeas, peanut butter and honey. Stir and let simmer for another 10 minutes.
  • Stir in greens. Season with salt, starting with 1/2 tsp. and adjusting to taste.
Photo via Sarah Levy for Bari Apotheke

1 comment:

  1. Hi,

    thanks for this article, I like and love the nature's and natural beauty.

    ReplyDelete

Tell me what you heart. x